Sunday, October 12, 2008

KXAN Mayhem

As of October 1, KXAN has canceled their channel and has opened their doors to payed programmers. For those of us who watch NBC religiously to watch Deal or No Deal, My Own Worst Enemy, Heroes, SNL, and of course Football! this has become a burden. Unfortunately, this may be our fault. I recently went to their website to understand why this signal was being pulled off the air and found some interesting stuff. "They want to charge Time Warner Cable customers across the United States in order for you to see your programming. To make up for lower ratings and advertising revenue, broadcast stations are demanding millions of dollars for permission to carry their channels; fees that will fall, ultimately, to you." However, this signal is free so why should we have to pay to watch our programs. They want to add to their revenue and take advantage of a signal that is already free. I personally think this is ridiculus and negotiations better move along quickly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you Mandi. Not only is it unfair to the public audience, (and don't forget about The Office!)but it poses ethical issues as well. What is keeping other stations from following suit? If NBC begins to charge customers, what is to say ABC, FOX, etc. don't as well?

In the meantime, check out www.hulu.com for all your shows!

Ceci Garcia said...

I have been wondering if there are two sides to the story, Mandi. It really sucks that KXAN is off air because I really would like to enjoy the SuperBowl with a nice bbq at my apartment. It looks like that isn't happening anytime soon. For the mean time, though, I am enjoying the free preview of Starz Kids and Family! I watched Free Willy 3 today and have watched "The Game Plan", "Underdog" and "Emma" since the KXAN was pulled!

Christine Pegg said...

It really sucks that KXAN was pulled. It's irritating!. I'm missing out on Heroes and SNL! Thank goodness you can watch most of prime time NBC shows online. Like Ceci said, the Starz preview in it's place is kinda nice. I saw "Ratatouille" on the other night.