Sunday, October 12, 2008

VW loves Brooke Shields

Volkswagon has recently made Brooke Shields as their new spokesperson for their new line of minivans. "In a promotional four-and-a-half-minute video, Shields refers to a "Routan boom," where there is a dramatic rise in children being born to families that believe they have to have more children to justify the purchase of "German engineering," or a Routan." As funny as that sounds the ads are witty and clever but haven't quite helped market their sales. Their goal is to sell close to 40,000 but are finding it a bit difficult and finding they're minivan percentage is down 19.5%. However, maybe Brooke Shields will have more face time (if she doesn't already) and keep endorsing those minivans!

1 comment:

bradleyf said...

Mandi, I think it is funny that you blogged about this, because I think that Brooke Shield's commercial for VW is not funny at all! I do not think that VW should have had her try to crack jokes, but instead have her do something more natural to her personality! I like Brook Sheilds, don't get me wrong but when I watched that commercial with a few other people in the room, we all were just like "what?" at the end. I think it is a good idea on VW's part to hire a good looking celebrity to sponser their cars, but I think the script should be a little funnier for her!